"A Streetcar Named Desire"

Tennessee Williams

“Hamlet”- Ophelia’s Diary

Act I Diary

Dear Diary,

I am so torn right now. I am in love with Hamlet, but my father and Laertes do not think our love is true. They basically told me that Hamlet is way of out my league, and I need to halt the affair before it goes any further. Hamlet will be king someday, yes. So he will not be able to make his own decisions as much as he pleases; however, I feel like our love is strong enough to work through the class differences. My father and Laertes both seem to think Hamlet is using me for one thing… They told me to protect my virtue with everything I have. Hamlet is not like that! Our relationship goes far beyond the physical things. I wish they understood. I will respect my father’s wishes though and stop seeing Hamlet, as much as it pains me to do so.

In other news about what is going on throughout Denmark, I heard that Horatio and Marcellus were keeping watch the other night, and they saw a ghost! I wonder what all that is about. Supposedly the ghost greatly resembles Hamlet’s late father. I am sure the news of the ghost has made its way to Hamlet’s ears, and I really wonder how he feels about all of it. I know he has been very upset since his father’s death. Especially since his mother remarried so soon after, to Hamlet’s uncle Claudius. I see how that situation would make one sick, but Hamlet has been especially distraught over it. I wonder if the rumor about the ghost is true, and if Hamlet intends to try making contact with it. I hope not, for the ghost might be just an illusion brought about by demons! I would hate to think of one hurting my love. If it is his father though, maybe he will be able to give the kingdom some information regarding his untimely death. It does make me curious why he died so suddenly, but I suppose it was just his time to leave us.

With these wonders, I will leave you, Diary. Concern for Hamlet fills my head, and I desire to be with him so much. Unfortunately, I feel obligated to obey my father, so I will stay separated from my love as I think about the “we” that can never be. Goodnight.

-Ophelia

Act II Diary

Dear Diary,

Hamlet visited me! He was not the Hamlet I know! I do not know what is wrong with him, but he came while I was sewing in my closet. He came in with his jacket all unbuttoned, with no hat on his head, his stockings untied and hanging down at his ankles. He was as pale as his white shirt, his knees were knocking together, he looked as if he had just escaped from the pits of hell! I did not know what to do. He snatched my wrist and grabbed my arm very tightly and shook me, and then he let out a heavy sigh that seemed to shatter himself. Then he turned his head over his shoulder as he walked to the door unassisted. He looked and acted like a complete madman! When I told my father all of this, he was alarmed, but he thinks Hamlet is acting this way because I am no longer seeing him. I am not sure why Hamlet is acting so strangely, but it really irks me to be treated so unfairly by the man I love. Something with him is just not right. I decided to help the king by showing him how different Hamlet is acting, in hopes of someone else being able to figure out why my love is so enraged against me. Before I got there, Hamlet was also extremely rude to my father…which is actually not out of the ordinary. Rozencrantz and Guildenstern also met with Hamlet with people watching to see how he would react, but Hamlet somehow knows when he is being watched. Anyway, I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. Hamlet announced that The Murder of Gonzago is going to be performed tomorrow night. That will be interesting!

Goodnight, Diary.

-Ophelia

Act III Diary

Dear Diary,

Everything is falling apart! I sat next to Hamlet during the production of his play. The whole time, he made dirty and rude remarks to me…of all the nerve! The play was intense! I am not sure that everything they acted out was really in the original script. It sounded different and kind of forced. It was about a king who was murdered, and then the queen married his murderer. It was quite strange. I wonder what the relevance of it was. Whatever it was supposed to have symbolized, I am just glad that Denmark is staying pretty peaceful through this hectic time of change. Oh, but I heard something awful! I am hoping this is all just rumored hearsay, but in passing, someone was urgently discussing Polonius- my father-’s death! They said that Hamlet killed him because he caught him spying on himself and the queen. I pray this is only rumor. I know Hamlet and my father did not particularly get along, but I cannot imagine Hamlet being so far gone that he would do such a thing! I have not seen my father much since the play, though. Oh, I dearly hope he is okay. As much as he likes sucking up to the king, I can definitely imagine him doing some spying; but would that really give Hamlet enough motivation to murder him?? I hope not! I guess I am going to go look for my father now, and perhaps even go look for Hamlet to set things straight with him. I am tired of his antics, and my own sanity is wearing thin on his behalf.

-Ophelia

Act IV Diary

Dear Diary,

I have officially gone completely off the deep end now…literally and figuratively. I am a ghost now, walking, watching this whole scene in Denmark play out. They found my body, and they know I drowned myself to death. I, being the overly emotional¬† character that I am, went from happy and in love to betrayed and angry to wholly, madly insane in a matter of pages. Hamlet did kill my dear father, Polonius.¬† After all his shenanigans portraying his poor mental state, his outbursts at me, then murdering my own father on top of all that, I admit I lost it. I wandered into the room acting insane, singing dirty songs, and yelling incoherent comments at the king and queen, which is not like me at all! When my brother Laertes came in, I responded by throwing around some flowers– definitely not my typical behavior. I am sure they all thought I was mad, which by that point in time, I was. I would have blamed my bipolarness on Hamlet, except I now know that Claudius is the real evil that led Hamlet to the way he acted towards me in the latter days of my life. Therefore, I blame this whole killing myself thing on Claudius. I never would have been driven to do it had he not killed his own brother and married his wife! I only wish Hamlet had told me these things when I was alive, and maybe I could have helped him get his revenge. Oh, who am I kidding? If Hamlet did not even feel the need to let me in on any of this, and he acted so hatefully towards me, he probably never truly loved me in the first place. Hamlet is no Thespus…I do not think real lovers can turn on each other so convincingly well. Well, Diary, I am interested to see how Hamlet’s revenge turns out. I hope he is successful because Claudius will deserve whatever he gets. (These feelings of unforgiveness and revenge, and the fact that I committed suicide are probably why I am stuck here as a ghost instead of crossing over into Heaven right now. Might as well embrace my bitterness I guess!)

-Ophelia

Act V

Dear Diary,

The gravediggers that prepared my burial site today think the only reason my body is getting a Christian burial is because my family is somewhat wealthy and powerful.¬† Hamlet and Horatio showed up to my graveside, and they talked to the witty gravediggers. The priest that led my funeral service was…let’s just say…not fond of me. He kept making nasty comments about how I presumably committed suicide. He said my grieving family and friends gave me all of the ceremony they could do without making a mockery of people who have actually died and gone to Heaven in peace. He said they should be glad they were allowed to bury me there, rather than some awful place where my grave would be disrespected! I know committing suicide was not the “Christian” thing to do, per se, but I am a moody woman, so I felt it was necessary. I just cannot believe a priest would speak such lowly things about me at my own funeral, when I was pretty obviously very disturbed to have committed such an unnatural act. Thank God for Laertes, who stood up for me to the priest. He told him that I am an angel now, and the priest will rot in Hell. Although that is not entirely the case, I am glad my brother stood up for me. In all this madness, my poor brother got so worked up that he would have picked a fight with anyone. Poor, sweet Gertrude wept for my death. She was pained that I never married her son.. Which gave me lovely memories of Hamlet and my happier times, although Hamlet did not react to my death much at all. The someone that Laertes fought unfortunately happened to be Hamlet, which I found out had been planned by Claudius. Hamlet killed my brother, just as he killed my father, and indirectly killed me; however, he killed him with his own sword, which had been poisoned by Claudius. Gertrude also unknowingly drank poison from her husband. With the poison, Claudius killed Laertes, Gertrude, and Hamlet. I am very proud to say that Hamlet and Laertes managed to come to terms with each other before either died, though. I am also extremely happy that Hamlet was able to avenge his father’s death, and the entire fatally tragic situation that stemmed from the original murder, when he stabbed Claudius with the same infected sword. As he was dying, Hamlet declared to Horatio, who was in the process of invading Denmark during this whole procession, should be Denmark’s new king (probably because most of Denmark’s powerful people had died). Sweet Hamlet was given a royal burial, and now all of our souls are at rest. I thank God that this all-consuming revenge that took my Hamlet from me is also at rest for eternity.

-Ophelia

No Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI